Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 7th - Tanabata

Tanabata is a Japanese festival on July 7th.  It has origins in China.  It celebrates the meeting of the deities Orihime and Hikoboshi (represented by the start Vega and Altair).  According to legend the Milky Way separates these lovers, and they are allowed to meet only once a year on the 7th day of the 7th month. 

In Japan people celebrate by writing wishes on small pieces of paper and hanging them from bamboo, sometimes with other decorations.  I saw these at the grocery store and also at the hospital when I took Wren for her 1 month check up.  (She is very strong and healthy but a little bit small.  No surprise there given how short Jeff and I are.)  My Japanese language teacher brought me bamboo and some decorations and some wishes that she had written and some blank pieces of paper for Jeff and I to write our own wishes on.  It was super sweet.  It also reminded me a little of decorating a Christmas tree, hahaha!

Here is the bamboo with all it's decorations, isn't it cute!

This is a wish that Ito-san wrote for Wren.  It is my understanding that is says that she hopes Wren will grow up and be healthy.

This is a wish that Ito-san wrote for me.  I think it says that she hopes we will meet again (after I move back to Boise).
Jeff and I wrote a wish for Wren.  I wrote one for Jeff and he wrote one to me.  I also wrote one for Ito-san.  I am really going to miss her!

I thought this was a really cute tradition and I enjoyed it.  Since Ito-san was nice enough to share it with me, I thought I'd share it with you!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment