Thursday, March 5, 2015

Tokyo Day 2

We woke up to a beautiful clear day in Tokyo.  Something we didn't expect after the previous night's weather.  It was so clear that we had a great view of Mt. Fugi!!!

Mt. Fuji behind the Tokyo Skytree

City view in daytime

More city

Trains coming and going from station near hotel

Just to give you an idea of how much city is out there...
Tokyo is about double the population of New York city.  WAY to big to explore much of in a half day.  We spent the morning checking things out.  We experienced the super crowded trains/subways.  I even wore a face mask. (I really don't want to get sick as being sick is not fun but even less fun when pregnant since you can't take anything.  I have a face mask that I carry in my purse and put on when someone sick sits near me on my commute.  I thought that this was a good time put on a mask.)  Face masks (think disposable Dr. masks) are super common in Japan and I fit right in.  The train was so crowded that when it got to a stop, the flow of people in the train carried Jeff and I out with it even though we wanted to actually stay on the train.  Once everyone stopped getting off, we got back on.  It was a little nutty.

We checked out Shibuya crossing which is sort of like Tokyo's version of times square.  It is supposed to be the busiest pedestrian crossing in the world.  We were there way to early for the major crowds. But is was still fun to people watch.


We then got back on the train and wandered through a couple of the other districts in Tokyo.  It was interesting to see the pace of things and how huge the city was.  We had a lovely lunch and then it was back to the hotel to grab our bags and head back to Hiroshima. 

It was lovely to get out of the house for a few days and have another adventure.  I am much more aware of my physical limitations due to pregnancy.  I've definitely slowed down a little bit and need to take breaks once in a while.  It is all very strange to me. 

Japan is still an exciting place to travel around and I enjoy it very much when I'm in "vacation" mode.  I have to admit that when it comes to daily living in Japan I would love an "easy button".  The challenge of figuring out how to live here with the added complication of trying to understand how to be pregnant here is a little more of a challenge than I want on a daily basis but Jeff and I are making the most of it, focusing on the positives (and there are many) but I'll be glad to go home this summer.  The "Babymoon" was lovely and I think will help get us through the next couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment