Monday, May 25, 2015

Kurashiki - the cabin fever cure!

Yesterday was my due date.  You might guess that I'm starting to get cabin fever a bit.  The last three weeks I've been keeping closer to home thinking "I could go in to labor at any moment".  Still waiting.  I never thought I'd be hoping to have my body start hurting so much, lol!

After my Friday appointment, in which my doctor pretty much said "I think you have a while" but in a much less direct and Japanese way I told Jeff I needed to get out of the house this weekend.  He came up with a great plan of going to Kurashiki.  It is a really adorable little town a little over an hour away.  It has an older section of town with tons of little shops and a pretty canal that is lined with willow trees.

They do boat rides along the canal.  All passengers have to wear coolie hats.

Pretty bridge over the canal.

Pretty view of the area.


We spent the day enjoying the town.  There was a toy museum that we decided to check out.  It was both interesting and a little creepy.  If I was going to make a movie where toys came to life and attacked people, that it where I'd film, lol!  Some of the mechanical toys were amazing.  My favorite was a doll that would roll down stairs from his head to his feet like a slinky.  There were a ton of bobble heads, tigers seemed to be the favorite.  Shelves and shelves of toy boat and swords, tops and dolls.  There was a room where the ceiling was covered in kites.  When I was a kid we had a coloring book of Japanese kites and it made me smile to remember that book and compare the kites to the ones in my memory.

There was a really cool gift shop attached to the museum where I picked up a package to make origami finger puppets and a little wooden toy duck with a string and wheels.  The wings flap as the wheels roll.  So cute!

The town is known for making textiles.  There were a ton of jeans and denim shops.  There was also a fair amount of blown glass shops. 

We had a delightful time wandering.  We had soft ice cream and eventually stopped a really cute cafe for lunch.  It was a really fun day.  It would be a good stop for someone wanting to wander through a traditional looking Japanese town that isn't super crazy crowded.  For me it was perfect.  I got in a ton of walking and it got me out of the house.  I also got strange looks as I'm very pregnant looking and I don't generally wear the really loose and drappey clothing that most Japanese pregnant women wear so my belly got some double takes.  I'm getting used to it and have even caught a couple of people taking pictures of the blond pregnant woman.  Oh well.

Jeff getting ready to dig in to our delightful lunch
39 weeks and 5 days - very pregnant blond lady

Sunday we did one last Cost-Co run and had a fun afternoon playing games with friends.  If you haven't ever played Settlers of Catan, its a fantastic game.

Hopefully I don't have too much longer to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment