Sunday, July 27, 2014

In Hiroshima!!!

Hello Readers.  I have an interesting challenge before me.  I have a story to tell but I'm trying to keep things somewhat interesting instead of a laundry list of "today I did this and then I did that".  I'm going to try and keep everyone in the loop on the major stuff going on without regurgitating my daily movements and focus on some of the amazing scenery and fun/amusing in sites about Japan and living here.  Sound good?  (Hint:  this is where a comment might be helpful.)

Our apartment will not be ready for us for another two weeks.  Until it's ready we are living in a room on the 19th floor of the Sheraton in Hiroshima (which is conveniently located right next to the train station).  Jeff starts work on Monday.

We took the time to checkout the two most recognizable symbols of Hiroshima, the Abomb Dome at Peace Park and the torii at Miyajima.

I'm sure that you are aware the first atomic bomb used as a weapon was dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. The epicenter of the bomb was very near the building that is known as the Abomb Dome.  It was one of the few structures left standing after the explosion.  It is estimated that 80,000 people were killed instantly and 90,000 to 140,000 later died due to radiation poisoning.  The Japanese seem to possess an amazing amount of forgiveness and walking through Peace Park was very solemn and it was good to see the site of so much destruction turned in to a place of hope and beauty.


Abomb Dome in Peace Park
 Today we went to Miyajima to see the torii.  This is a gate that is a gate that is in the sea.  It was originally built to mark the entrance to a shrine in 1168.  It has been rebuilt over the years and the current one was built in 1874.


Torii at the entrance to Miyajima

5 story Pagoda built in 1407

Stone lantern, these lined the path along the shore
Funny side note, in Miyajima there was a small herd of tame deer that were overly friendly towards tourists in that they liked to eat people food and paper products.  Jeff and I were eating ice cream when an overly friendly deer came over.  It tried to eat Jeff's ice cream and when he didn't give it to the deer it tried to eat his shirt.  Fortunately he was able to pull his shirt out of the deer's mouth with out damaging his shirt and chase it off.  It was very funny.

Jeff and a hungry deer

3 comments:

  1. Hmm I just tried to comment and it ate it, so I apologize if this comes through twice. First- YES KEEP BLOGGING often!! Let us live through you as if we are there right with you :)

    Second- how bad is the language barrier, and how has the food been? What's the craziest thing you've seen at the grocery store so far?

    And third- woah, pushy deer! I love that picture, haha. You don't give me ice cream, I'll eat your shirt! That deer thinks like me (om nom nom.)

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! The language barrier is signifigant. Even though I'm learning to speak Japanese the fact that I can't read anything is really difficult. For example, on the trains, it's hard to know what stop is your since it's just a symbol. Where if you are in Germany or something, you at least know it's the really long word that starts with a H and ends in bergh.

    Haven't been grocery shopping yet since we are living in the hotel. Ordering meals has been an adventure since we can't read the menu. So far everything has been really good. Thank goodness I like Asian food! I'm sure I'll have more on food.

    The conversation Jeff was having with the deer was awesome. He was talking to it like it was one of our dogs and then it just got anoyed and grabbed Jeff's shirt. Wish I had gotten that on camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sky
    I am so glad that you are doing the blog thing. You don't seem like you are so far away when I see you and Jeff once a week of so. I don't know if it is weird to live vicariously through your kids, but I do and love it.

    Your photography gets better every trip. And I loved the photo of Jeff fending off the deer. Keep the blogs coming.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete