Monday, July 28, 2014

Japanese Garden

I know I'm not going to keep up this volume of posts in the long run, so don't expect it but these pictures were so pretty, I couldn't help myself :-)

Today I went to the Shukkeien Garden in Hiroshima.  This garden was first constructed in 1620.  In 1783 it was improved.  It was completely destroyed in 1945 when the atomic bomb hit Hiroshima.  The restoration process stared in 1951 and was open to the public during the restoration process.

The way the garden is constructed is there is a pond (filled with koi and turtles) in the middle of the garden that has several small islands in it and a bridge that bisects the pond through the middle.  There is a network of trails that go around the outside of the pond.  There are hills and valleys and diversity of plant life so that the garden seems much bigger than it is.  I took 3 laps around the garden in order to see everything.  It was fantastically planned so that there is something beautiful to see in all corners.  The garden is immaculately maintained.  Even the walkways are swept with a twig broom so that the path is textured.

I took a ton of pictures.  Here are just a few of my favorites.

Bridges to a small island with a pagoda that you could sit in and enjoy the view

Trees reflecting in the water

Stepping stones across a stream for the path

Koi feeding frenzy

Red bridge and pagoda from the center bridges.  I like this one with the skyscraper in the background.  Is shows how this garden is smack dab in the middle of a big city, a small peaceful refuge.


A series of 3 small arched bridges

Bamboo grove
The center bridge

Cool tree
This is one of those places I think I'll return several times.  It has a ton of Japanese maples (which happen to be my favorite type of tree) that will be beautiful in fall when the leaves turn and there are many flowering trees such as plumbs and cherry trees that will be lovely in spring.

1 comment:

  1. Good god that garden is breathtaking! The pictures are like postcards. I think I would begin every morning with a stroll through there!

    ReplyDelete