Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What I'm not doing...

So far I have posted on the things that I'm doing in Japan.  This post is about the things that I'm not able to do because I'm in Japan.

I was not able to help out a friend and bring her a cooked meal after she had surgery.  I couldn't give her a hug.  I couldn't let her know that everything would be ok and make her laugh but telling her a funny story about my first surgery, before she went in for hers.

I can't meet my friend for coffee when she has a stressful day at work and needs to complain about her boss and have a friend empathize and just be there and offer support.  It's hard to show her that she is awesome and loved from so far away.

I couldn't take care of my dog when he was sick and pet him and make him comfortable.  I know my dog sitter did this but I can't help but feel that he needed me and I wasn't there for him.  He doesn't understand why I left him or know that I'm coming back.

Yesterday a good friend of mine was hit by a car while riding her bicycle.  She had qualified for the world ironman championships in Kona this year (that's a huge deal) but will be unable to race.  I can't comfort her on that loss.  She will have months of physical therapy as her broken bones heal and she regains mobility.  I can not offer to take over a meal when she is recovering or take long walks with her once she regains some mobility or give support at the frustrations of injury and a long recovery.  She has a very long unpleasant road ahead and throughout that process, I'll be here, on the other side of the world, not with her helping out.

Yes, I miss good cheese and being able to effectively communicate but what I miss the most are the people I left behind.  I hate not being there for the people who have always been there for me.  This is truly the hard part of living abroad.

2 comments:

  1. You aren't here physically, but speaking as on of your friends that I think was referenced above, I still very much feel your love and support! Btw...Japanese get well paper toys are the best EVER. You made my week, Sky!

    ReplyDelete